Dear Community Members;
At the outset of the pandemic, our community of makers, manufacturers and volunteers rallied to produce face shields for front line and essential workers when no other supply lines were available. For more about that project, click here.
Now, it is time to mobilize a second army of volunteers to help our community beat COVID-19 through mass vaccination. Join us today as a community volunteer.
Please read all of the information below before filling out the Volunteer Application Form. Click on each title below to view information related to each section. PLEASE NOTE: All Volunteers must sign a Vaccine Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement. Click here to sign the form which will open in new window.
Volunteer assignments may include:
- Client/Clinic Flow Monitors
- Equipment and Supply Runners
- Parking Lot Attendants
- Other roles as required
Possible Volunteer Duties:
- Assist in maintaining parking lot traffic flow and direct clients appropriately.
- Welcome clients and monitor line-ups to assist in maintaining physical distancing.
- Ask clients arriving at the clinic to wear a mask (unless less than 2 years of age, or cannot wear a mask) and that they clean their hands with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Provide a mask to clients who do not have one.
- Refer clients with accessibility needs (e.g. mobility issues, sight or hearing impaired, need for translator) that require additional supports to the appropriate personnel at the clinic.
- Ask if the client had an appointment and if the client meets the eligibility criteria for the clinic (if there are eligibility criteria for the clinic based on who is being prioritized for immunization).
- Direct clients to screener and registration.
- Direct clients who have registered to the next available immunizer.
- Help facilitate the flow of clients throughout the clinic, promoting physical distancing of at least 2 meters between clients while waiting in line to enter the clinic or in the pre-registration area (clients from the same household can remain together) with the aid of markings on the ground.
- Check to see if signage is in place and visible, including COVID-19 screening protocols, eligibility criteria, clinic instructions and clinic flow, as appropriate.
- Deliver required non-medical equipment to staff and respond to staff requests.
- Monitor post-immunization waiting area, inform the designated clinic health care provider immediately if a client needs medical attention and clean high touch surface areas with sanitizing wipes (e.g. chairs in recovery area, door handles).
- Refer clients or report those who are not in compliance with requests to the appropriate staff.
- Volunteers will complete all mandatory training before their first volunteer shift. – Training may be offered via ZOOM
- Volunteers will participate in a pre-shift orientation and briefing before each volunteer shift.
- Privacy and confidentially protocols will be strictly enforced and volunteers will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Volunteers will strictly adhere to all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and distancing requirements for the clinic.
- Participate in any active or passive COVID-19 screening that is required by the clinic.
- Volunteers are present to advise clients of COVID-19 safety procedures (sanitizer, mask, distancing) only. Clients who are not in compliance with requests will be referred or reported to appropriate clinic staff.
- Volunteers will not provide any form of medical information, advice, opinion or instructions outside of their designated role.
- All clients needing assistance (accommodations, post-immunization concerns) must be referred immediately to the appropriate clinic staff.
- Contact the identified staff member as soon as possible, if you are unable to attend you scheduled volunteer shift.
Volunteer Qualifications & Requirements:
- Enjoys interacting with community members.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience interacting with people living with disabilities is considered an asset.
- Ability to understand and follow multiple instructions.
- Able to stay calm in high-tension situations.
- Requires stamina and the ability to respond quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer Service skills. Ability to manage objections in a pleasant, confident and calm manner.
- Willing and able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (e.g. mask, eye protection) throughout the volunteer shift.
- Able to work indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- All Volunteers must sign a Vaccine Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement. Click here to sign the form.
- Volunteers must be over 18 years.
- Risk Assessment:
- Personal Protective Equipment and disinfection supplies will be provided.
- Volunteers must eligible and willing to be vaccinated. Some volunteers may not be vaccinated before they start working in the clinics.
Orientation & Training:
- Clinic Objectives
- Clinic Roles and Responsibilities
- Staff and Volunteer Identification
- Administrative details (e.g. who to contact regarding shift changes, food and beverage policy, clothing and footwear etc.)
- COVID-19 Screening
- COVID-19 Health and Safety Training
- Responding to the diverse needs of clients (e.g. older adults, children, people with disabilities, people who speak other languages).
- Privacy and Confidentiality
- Emergency response procedures
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA)
- Sign all required forms
- Attend other training as required
- Support & Supervision
- Clinic staff will be nearby at all times.
- Cobourg Community Centre
- Volunteer shifts will be 4-5 hours in length.
- Volunteers will commit to a minimum of 1 shift per week.
- Volunteers will commit to volunteering in this role for a minimum of 2 weeks to three months.
- This is an opportunity to assist our community in controlling the spread of COVID-19.
- Gain knowledge and experience in the organization of large scale Public Health clinics.
- Town of Cobourg Insurance Coverage
Working with our Scheduling Program
Already signed up as a volunteer with Mesh AI?
Visit the Mesh AI Login page. We suggest you bookmark that page to return to it easily in the future. the link is also provided here for your convenience.
Help using Mesh AI Scheduling Program
Click these links for instructions to help you create your account and make changes to your schedule.
Getting Started With Mesh AI Video
Since the video was a little longer than we anticipated we created this document that shows an outline of the video and the times a particular topic is being discussed so you can just skip to the right part of the video if you need to revisit something and not have to listen to the whole video over again. If you hover over the video as it is playing you will see these ‘chapters’ indicated in a timeline that runs along the bottom edge of the video.
- Creating your account
- Preparing before a schedule is built
- Fine tuning the schedule through trading
1:20 Using a mobile app
2:10 Creating your account
4:00 Bookmark the website
6:00 Preparing before a schedule is built
- How to book time off
- Full day
- Partial day
- Multiple days
- Before a schedule is created (April 18-24)
- After a schedule is created (April 10-17)
- Delete time booked off
10:35 Fine tuning the schedule through trading
- Trade away a shift
- Show the shift bazaar
20:00 Different Schedule Views
- The team schedule
- Personal schedule
- Different views of a calendar
22:10 User settings for emails.
Please send me an invitation to volunteer
Spoiler Alert: They’re all good. Dr. Samir Gupta explains how the four COVID-19 vaccines now approved in Canada work and why efficacy rates aren’t the most important number to look at.
The students at Junior Set Nursery School were asked to draw something they enjoyed doing or were missing due to COVID-19. It was hoped that the drawings would be shared with Premier Ford during his visit to Cobourg to see the mass vaccine clinic set up at the Cobourg Community Centre.